ASME IX – Sample WPS (GTAW and FCAW)
This topic guides to develop a WPS base on the qualified test coupons from.
- Material: API 5L Gr. X52 PLS1 SMLS
- Pipe size: NPS 8” Sch 80
- Joint design: Groove, included angle 60 deg.
- Welding process: GTAW (3mm) and FCAW (10mm).
Reference: ASME IX, ASME II part A & C, ASME B16.25.
Important must read:
- QW-200, contents of the WPS.
- QW-250, essential variables and non-essential variables
The completed WPS shall describe all of the essential, nonessential, and, supplementary essential variables.
The completed PQR shall document all essential and, supplementary essential variables, nonessential (optional) of QW-250 for each welding process used during the welding of the test coupon.
The recorded variables shall be the actual variables.
Get format PQR.
- Organization: BCK055,
- WPS No.: WPS-123 Rev. 00,
- Date of issue: 16-JAN-2018,
- Application code: ASME IX 2015 edition,
- Welding process: GTAW + SMAW,
- Supporting PQR no.: PQR-123 Rev. 00,
Note: Organization descriptions should be used a company’s letter header; there also have the qualified certificates such as ISO 9001, OSHA, or a member of international society, etc.
QW-402 Joint details
Joint details shall be detailed all variables in table QW-256 (for GTAW) and table QW-255 (for FCAW).
We should bring all variables in these tables and range of qualification to WPS.
- QW-402.1 Groove design: as detailed in the PQR, eg. included angle: 60 +/-10 deg., Root gap: 3.2mm, Root face: <1mm, more details refer to ASME B16.25 – groove bevel ends.
- QW-402.4 Backing: GTAW “N/A – not applicable”, FCAW “WELD METAL”.
- QW-402.5 Backing: GTAW “None”; FCAW “N/A”.
- QW-402.10 Root Spacing: 2mm
- QW-402.11 Retainers: GTAW “None”; FCAW “-“.
Note: GTAW to be applied a root pass and low heat input application, you should consider root gap/ face to prevent defects such as lack of fusion, incomplete penetration. Refer to AWS D1.1 Fig. 3.2 & 3.3 for more details of prequalification welding procedure.
Note: FCAW applied on the 2nd layer after GTAW (root and hot layer), in this case, backing for FCAW is the weld metal.
QW-403 Base metal
Base metal are given in table QW-422.
- QW-403.5 Group no.: 1,
- QW-403.6 T limits: 12.7 to 25.4mm,
- QW-403.8 T Qualified: 7 to 25.4mm,
- QW-403.9 t pass > 13mm: “-“
- QW-403.11 P Qualified: 1,
Note: QW-402.5 and QW-402.6 shall apply when PQR required CVN test.
QW-404 Filler metal
- QW-404.3 Size: GTAW: “2.4 mm”, FCAW: “n/a”,
- QW-404.4 F Number: GTAW: “6”, FCAW: “6”,
We recommend welding electrode ER70S-6, due to more projects restricts a classification “G” and supplementary PQR required CVN test.
- QW-404.5 A Number: GTAW: “1”, FCAW: “1”,
- QW-404.6 Diameter: GTAW: “n/a”; FCAW : “1.2mm”,
- QW-404.7 Diameter > 6mm: GTAW: “n/a”; FCAW: “-“,
- QW-404.12 Spec. or Class. A/SFA.: GTAW “A/SFA 5.9 ER70S-6”; FCAW “A/SFA 5.18 E70T-1C”,
- QW-404.14 Filler: GTAW: “Yes”; FCAW: “n/a”,
- QW-404.22 Consumable Insert : GTAW: “None”; FCAW : “n/a”,
- QW-404.23 Filler metal product form: GTAW: “Solid” ; FCAW: “Flux cored”,
- QW-404.24 Supplemental filler: GTAW: “n/a” ; FCAW: “None”,
- QW-404.24 Alloy elements: GTAW: “n/a” ; FCAW: “None”,
- QW-404.30 Max. Deposit thickness (t): GTAW: “6mm” ; FCAW : “19mm”, refer to table QW-451.1,
- QW-404.32 t limits: GTAW: “n/a” ; FCAW : “None”,
- QW-404.33 Classification: GTAW: “-“ ; FCAW : “-“,
- QW-404.50 Flux : GTAW: “None” ; FCAW : “n/a”.
ASME IX allows qualification either plate or pipe test coupon.
These supplementary essential variables shall become an essential variable when addition of CVN test.
If the PQR are not required the CVN test, the test coupon on plates also qualify for pipe and vice versa.
- QW-405.1 + Position: “All”,
- QW-405.2 change position: “Vertical-uphill”,
- QW-405.3 change vertical welding: “-“,
The welder or welding operator who prepares the WPS qualification test coupons meeting the requirements of QW-200 is also qualified within the limits of the performance qualifications, listed in QW-304 for welders and in QW-305 for welding operators. He is qualified only within the limits for positions specified in QW-303.
Preheat temperature will effect to a quality of weldment such as high hardness value, impact test value at heat affected zone, etc.
- QW-406.1 Decrease > 55 deg. C: “10 deg.C”,
- QW-406.2 Preheat maintenance: “-“,
- QW-406.3 Increase > 55 deg. C: “250 deg. C”,
Post weld heat treatment (PWHT) base on the project specification, base metal/filler metal application, or fluid services such as electrode E8018-B3L, sour sevices, etc.
Any application of PWHT must be separated a procedure and meet the code application such as ASME B31.3, ASME B31.1 or ASME VIII.
- QW-407.1 change PWHT: “None”
- QW-407.2 change PWHT (T & T range): “-“
- QW-407.4 T limits: “-“
- QW-1 Trailing or composition: GTAW: “Argon”, FCAW: “CO2”,
- QW-408.2 Single, mixture %: GTAW: “99.997%”, FCAW: “100%”, refer to AWS A5.32,
- QW-408.3 Flow rate: GTAW: “10-15 lpm”, FCAW: “10-17 lpm”,
- QW-408.5 Backing flow: GTAW: “None”, FCAW: “-”,
- QW-408.9 Backing or composition: GTAW: “None”, FCAW: “-”,
- QW-408.10 Shielding or trailing: GTAW: “-”, FCAW: “-”,
QW-409 Electrical characteristics
- QW-409.1 Heat input: calculation HI = (V x A x 60)/ TS (travel speel – mm/minute).
- QW-409.2 Transfer Mode: GTAW: “n/a”, FCAW: “None”,
- QW-409.3 Pulsing current: GTAW: “None”, FCAW: “n/a”,
- QW-409.4 Current and Polarity: GTAW: “DC EN”; FCAW: “DC EP”
- QW-409.8 I & E range: GTAW “A: 80 – 150”, “V: 10-14”; FCAW “A: 100-200, V:20-30”.
- QW-409.12: Tungsten electrode: GTAW: “2.4mm, 2%thoriated”, FCAW “n/a”,
Note: control HI values from 1.0 to 3.5 kJ,
- QW-410.1 String/weave: GTAW: “string/weave”, FCAW: “string/weave”,
- QW-410.3 Orifice, nozzle or gas cup size: size no.: GTAW: “4 – 7”, FCAW: “3/4”,
- QW-410.5 Method cleaning: “grinding, wire brushing”,
- QW-410.6 Method back gouge: “None”,
- QW-410.7 Oscillation: “None”, due to manual/ semiauto process,
- QW-410.9 Multi to single pass/ side: “Multi”,
- QW-410.10 Single to multi electrodes: “Single”,
- QW-410.11 Closed to out chamber: “None”,
- QW-410.15 Electrode spacing: “None”,
- QW-410.25 Manual or automatic: Manual “GTAW” & Semiauto “FCAW”,
- QW-410.26 Peening : “None”,
- QW-410.64 Use of thermal processes: “None”,
This is free article and free support, please leave your comment here or discussion at weldinginspections.net