AWS D1.1 2015 edition – Tolerance of Joint Dimensions – Tolerance of joint details – Visual inspection
Joint details in WPS should detail of tolerance in Clause 5.214.1.
- Fillet weld assembly, see 5.21.1
- PJP groove weld assembly, see5.21.2
- Groove dimension, see 5.21.4
What are essential variables in WPS?
- Table 4.5, line #31: A change in groove type (e.g., single-V to double-V), except qualification of any CJP grove weld qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the requirement of 3.12, 3.13, 9.10 or 9.11
- Table 4.5, line #33: A change exceeding the tolerance of 3.12, 3.13, 220.127.116.11, or 9.10, 9.11, 9.11.2 and 18.104.22.168 involving:
- A decrease in the groove angle
- A decrease in the root opening
- An increase in the root face.
In groove weld, most questions were raised in case of out of tolerance such root opening / root gap are not allowed 20 mm or not greater of twice the thickness of thinner member, whichever is less.
Clause 3.12 / 3.13 are the requirement of prequalified WPS, also see the details of joint in Figure 3.2 and Figure 3.3. All details are very clear to prepare a WPS.
Figure 5.3 given the details of tolerance assembly in groove weld:
Figure 5.3 a) – groove weld without backing – root not backgouged.
Figure 5.3 b) – groove weld with backing – root not backgouged.
Figure 5.3 c) – groove weld without backing – root backgouged.
How to set up a weld detail in pWPS?
- Joint detail follows Figure 3.3 (CJP)
- See figure 5.3 and Figure 9.7 through 9.16.
- See Figure 5.4.
- Table 6.1 and Table 9.16