This topic guide to select mid steel metal for PQR qualification and how to minimize cost & time?
- If you need to apply 2 codes of ASME IX & AWS D1.1 qualifications at the same time on different test coupons.
- If you do not want to waste a balance material.
Hence, we would like to detail of 3 important points in material selection during running PQRs: Type of material, wide range of qualification, welder qualification.
Type of material
We select material specification no. API 5L grade X52 PSL1 SMLS, thickness of 12.7mm neither selected a featured ASTM A106 grade B or API 5L grade B PSL1 SMLS.
- NPS 8″ Sch80 is in the group of standard test pipe as AWS D1.1 table 9.10
- API 5L grade X52 approved in group II as AWS D1.1 para. 3.3 and table 3.1.
- API 5L grade X52 grouped P-No. 1/Gr-No. 1 as ASME IX table QW-422
Wide range of qualification
ASME IX: code allows combination of more welding procedures with deferent essential as QW-200.4.
ASME IX: wide range the base metal thickness of WPS qualification from 5 mm to 25.4 mm as table 451.1.
AWS D1.1: wide range the base metal of WPS qualification, the qualified thickness from 5 mm to unlimited and the qualified diameter from 100 mm to unlimited, due to qualification on standard pipe, as table 9.10.
ASME IX: unlimited thickness qualification.
ASME: 6G position, so the WPS qualified for all positions.
AWS D1.1: wide range of welder qualification, a qualified thickness from 5 mm to unlimited and a qualified diameter from 100 mm to unlimited, due to qualification on standard pipe and thickness greater than 10mm.
AWS D1.1: 6G position, so the WPS qualified for all positions except T-Y-K connections.