In this topic, I would like to share you the causes of failure in CSWIP 3.1 examination and cross references of specification. There are 3 major causes that may help you to avoid during examining:
- Misunderstanding the questions and negative sentences,
- Lack of field/shop inspection and technical knowledge,
- Update wrongly the draft answer to answer sheet,
1. Misunderstanding the questions and negative sentences
Most CSWIP questions are prepared with using the negative words such as not, unlikely, unsuitable, most. These questions may reduce our score if you are inadequately understood; it is one of important point which may cause of failure.
So, I recommend a best way to answer more questions and read carefully study book, and then summaries in chart of your understanding.
Below examples are listed some question related the negative sentences:
Which of the following would be most unlikely to be found in a butt welded butt joint using conventional radiographic method of NDT?
A "U" preparation, if any lack of sidewall fusion imperfection due to its indication may parallel with the beam.
Which of the following defects is unlikely to be found by visual inspection?
Linear misalignment, undercut, overlap: an external imperfection and can check during visual inspection,
Slag inclusion: may occur internal or external of deposited weld metal. The internal imperfections are detected by RT/UT method, surface/sub-surface shall be detected MT, PT/DPT only detect on surface imperfections.
Which of the following would not be required to be checked before welding?
Answer: PWHT, weld reinforcement, NDT for weldment.
2. Lack of field/shop inspection and technical knowledge
The second cause are lack of field or shop inspection and technical knowledge. As you known there are some guy would like to get the CSWIP certificate but they were limit experience in field inspection, and are non-experience in testing such as conventional non-destructive test,
destructive test, material review, material inspection, running PQR, welder qualification.
There are some questions may helpful you like:
- Organization and running PQR, development WPS and welder qualification.
- Prepare ITP, operations procedure. These scopes are not the duties of welding inspector, but not limit learning for you.
- Witnessing destructive test for material, welding consumable and procedure, how to verify test specimens?
- Interpretation of specification and acceptance criteria?
- Conventional NDT methods like VT, RT, UT, MT, PT test and its advantages, its disadvantages?
- PWHT procedure, and heat treatment for material, and weld,
- Review NDE report,
- Final documentations,
Welder qualification for SMAW process which type of volumetric NDE is substitute for mechanical test ?
Answer: RT method, this question asked SMAW (for US standard), not MMA. Be sure that it is the same, but codes designation are different.
Read more ASME BPVC Section IX - QW-302 or
Is it always necessary to preheat the base material before welding?
Answer:As per approval WPS (most)
In order test for welding consumable based on material specification for weld test assembly or manual instruction for hard-banding.
Longitudinal tensile test pieces most likely subject for purpose?
Welding consumable verification.
Read more AWS A5.1 for set up test specimens for verification, a qualified procedure is not required.
I hope that you spend more times to figure out standards/ specifications before attending the training course.
Welding symbol and definitions
Guide for visual examination and welding imperfections
• BS EN ISO 17637
• BS EN ISO 6520-1
• AWS B1.10
Material and welding consumables
• BS EN 10025 part 1
& part 2
• BS EN 10204
• ASME BPVC Section II part A
• ASME BPVC Section II part C
Welding procedure and welder qualification
• BS EN ISO 15614 part 1
• BS EN ISO 9606-1
• ASME BPVC Section IX
• AWS D1.1
• API standard 1104
• BS EN ISO 9016
- Impact test
• BS EN ISO 4136
- Transverse tensile test
• BS EN ISO 5173 + A1
- Bend test
• BS EN ISO 17639
- Macro test
• ASTM A370 - Mechanical Testing of Steel Products
• NACE MR0175 or ISO 15156
- Hardness survey
• ASME BPVC Section V for 5 conventional method: RT, UT, MT, PT, VT
• ISO17637, ISO 5817 - Visual Inspection
• ISO 17638, ISO 23278 - Magnetic particle test
• ISO3452-1, ISO 23277 - Dye penetrant test
• ISO 17640, ISO 11666 - Ultrasonic test
• ISO 17636-1, ISO 10675-1 - Radiography test
• ASME B31.1 & B31.3 for acceptance criteria of weld
• AWS D1.1 for acceptance criteria of weld
• API standard 1104 for acceptance criteria of weld
• Stress-relief depends on code application, services of material application, engineering design such as ASME BPVC VIII, ASME B31.1/B31.3, AWS D1.1.
• Heat treatment for material and its delivery condition like normalizing (ASTM A106 Grade B), hot-rolled (BS EN 10025-2 grade S355J2), or Solution heat treated (ASTM A312 Type 316/316L).
3. Update wrongly the draft answer to answer sheet
When the time is up of an allowed examination and Lecturer informed “Stop! Time’s up! Pen down!”. You will rush to transfer the draft answers to an answer sheet, that are leading to put a wrong answer.
If you are facing this situation, please do not worry and keep calm to fix it before submitting to Lecturer. I hope that you need to control the timing examination as instructed by Lecturer and allow approximately 5 minutes to double check the draft answers with answer sheet.
Thank you for visiting my blog, If was this information helpful.
Learn more: CSWIP Multi Choice Quiz.
Or our fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/realBCK055