This article for a newbie or who would like to know about welding inspection and sequence to control your tasks as a welding inspector or supervisor.
Welding inspection are including 3 steps to complete the jobs:
- Before welding
- During welding
- After welding
Actions are normal inspect before welding and tool/equipment should available for using and validity.
Procedure and other documents
- Company's written procedures, visual examination procedure, repair procedure, etc.
- QC engineer will prepare it and submit to Client.
- WPS register list must prepare and submit for approval.
- NDE procedure and NDE personnel qualification.
- Understanding the specification and code application and acceptance criteria.
- For piping process are accordance to ASME B31.3 table 341.3.2, or.
- For structural steel are accordance with AWS D1.1 table 6.1 for nontubular, table 9.16 for tubular (!!! Important evaluation for the weldment).
- Personnel qualification and certification of welding inspector, ex. accordance to ASNT-TC-1A or ISO 17637). Read more the requirement in ASME B31.3 or ASME BPVC section V, etc.
- Approval welding procedure specification and welding process.
- Approval construction drawings and has issued for fabrication, welding map for trace weld joint,
- Welder qualification and renewal performance should continuous in your systems for review, his range qualification.
- Approval welder qualification register list by Client.
Tools and equipment
- QC tools for inspection like welding gages, tape, ruler, etc.
- Welding equipment are available and calibrated (may be in-house certification).
- Material inspection and review its MTC, make sure all parts can traceable the heat number/ code number and in good condition. Read more material inspection.
- Welding consumables to meet the WPS.
- Cutting and transfer product marking and beveling inspection.
- Fit up inspection are including check groove preparation, misalignment, weld joint number accordance with the WPS/welding maps, material being joined accordacnce with IFC drawings.
- Preheat temperature.
- Welder qualification who assigns for welding.
- Set up the welding parameters to meet WPS.
- Welding parameter and welding process are accordance with WPS for cerrent, volts, travel speed.
- Welding consumable for each process or layers accordance with WPS. The different between root pass (GTAW) and hot/cap passes (SMAW), or low temperature electrode.
- Temperature are included minimum preheat temperature, maintenance and maximum interpass temperature.
- Important on low alloy steel, when interpass temperature was lower than preheat temperature due to preheat was not archive. Learn more how to archive soak heat.
- Visual inspection root run including root high (protrude inside), root thickness (special for lining metal)
- Gringing/cleaning of each pass/layers and suitable with base metal (grinding disk carbon steel is prohibited to use for stainless steel).
- Assigned welder are in the register list and his range of qualification.
- Weather condition: indoor or outdoor,...
- Weld identification such as welder number, drawing number/welding map, WPS apply, date of inspection, NDE requirement.
- Visual inspection
- Visual internal cleaning and root high (piping).
- Weld appearance surface are suitable for NDT.
- Issue visual inspection report.
- Dimensional inspection and issue report.
- Update drawing if any change.
- PWHT if applicable.
- Request for NDT and review NDT reports
- Release for hydrotest or load test, surface treatment and painting, machining, etc.
- Update in welding summary.
Other tasks welding inspector/QC inspector should follow after welding and NDT.
- Update welder repair rate and renewal welder performance.
- Update NDT percentage, if random/spot NDT selection.
- Notification of inspection to Client for inspection/witnessing.
- Final documentations.